You may borrow from or copy this letter . . .
What is the purpose of REAL ID?
* to prevent terrorists from boarding planes, even though there are an infinite number of other ways to engage in terrorism
* to prevent illegal immigrants from getting driver's licenses - which only increases the likelihood they will drive without ever being tested, creating more dangerous roads http://tinyurl.com/yf5r595
Why should either (misguided) goal interfere with an American citizen's attempt to renew a driver's license?
REAL ID is working exactly as I thought it would. It punishes innocent Americans like me with red tape and higher fees by forcing us to "prove" we're not terrorists or illegal immigrants.
In Florida . . .
* the driver's license fee jumped from $25 to $48
* a woman was denied a license for failing to produce certified documentation of her first marriage, held in 1958 in Minnesota http://tinyurl.com/ykb4kud
* and a 68 year-old man's Rhode Island birth certificate that had been used to get into the Air Force, and to get a Florida license 20 years earlier, was rejected http://tinyurl.com/ylzyhct
Nevada has also been plagued by long lines with applicants turned away. http://tinyurl.com/yzgfex3
Meanwhile, two New York DMV workers were recently arrested for selling "authentic" ID's to criminals. http://tinyurl.com/yh7r7zm
This hardly inspires confidence that a nationalized ID system will stop terrorists and criminals from getting driver's licenses!
And yet the Administration and Congress are considering a replacement to REAL ID, the PASS ID Act, which will make it even easier for corrupt state employees to get access to my identity documents! http://www.realnightmare.org/about/114/
In addition, Sens. Lindsay Graham and Chuck Schumer want to force all American workers to carry a biometric ID card. http://tinyurl.com/yd83dwt
In other words, to hold down a job, I would have to be fingerprinted, enrolled in a national database, and possibly tracked.
I have had it! This is America! Americans shouldn't have to prove we're not terrorists, or that we're not illegal immigrants. I have the right to travel. I have the right to earn a living. I resent and reject any government program that presumes I must ask for permission.
I demand that you repeal the REAL ID Act and do everything in your power to oppose the PASS Act, the Graham-Schumer card, and all forms of national ID.